I had some great plans for some great posts explaining how we had found a wonderful home to buy that would put us very near our school and back in the town we never should have left in the first place. I was going to explain that the home we found was THE ONE and we wouldn’t have to move until the kids had to bury us.
I was. Then things went wrong with the deal. Very very wrong.
Apparently the woman who owns the home has some control issues. From what we can tell, she ordered the listing agent not to divulge any details to prospective buyers. You know, details like she’s already in negotiations with another buyer or that she’s unwilling to accept offers below a certain dollar amount, or that she is only willing to entertain one offer at a time. Pretty significant details that any prospective buyer wants to know and asks about. When the buyer isn’t able to get answers and instead feels as though they’re deliberately being deceived, the deal is headed south. Quickly.
It’s truly unfortunate how things played out. The home is in foreclosure and is not the owner’s primary residence. We offered a low amount knowing that the bank would counter with a higher amount. Admittedly, we were looking for a deal. We will not be putting our current home on the market until the real estate upswing begins, so we’ll be carrying two mortgages. A good deal would soften that situation a bit. Anyway, the exchanges became less enjoyable and more adversarial. We got emotional and backed out, only to find two days later that she had an offer on the table and the home was now contingently-contracted. We went back to her and offered list price, knowing that this is a home we both can envision ourselves in for many many years. She refused. She refused what we think is ~ $75,000 because of a personal vendetta, as best we can tell. Why would anyone do that? I can only hope that Karma will pay her visit sometime down the road. Right now, I drive the kids 25 miles each way to a school that I truly love and believe in. It’s completely worth it, but it’s frustrating and exhausting. We didn’t make the decision to enroll at the school lightly. Much deliberation was done. I wouldn’t change it for anything, but I sure wish we hadn’t moved to the home we’re in now to begin with. As they say, hindsight is always 20/20.
We’re still searching for the right house. Deep down in the mature part of me, I know we’ll find it. For now, I’m (not-so-)secretly hoping that the current contract falls through and we’re able to buy this home afterall. I certainly don’t wish any ill toward the owner or the prospective buyers, I just really want the house! 🙂
I’ll be back soon, I hope, with some knitting to show. Enjoy your weekend. I’m thrilled to be able to see some of our grass again!