Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for November 18th, 2008

Finally, some knitting!

We survived the parties.  YAY for that!  Thanks for all the compliments on the invites and such–I really appreciate it!

I promised that I’d have some knitting in my next post, and in order to not be a liar, I have a few projects to reveal.

First, a good mommy friend requested a hat last year and told me just recently that she fights her oldest daughter for that hat each cold morning.  I took this as my cue that she’d like another hat, so I inquired as to color, etc.  Voila:

Laurie's Cabled Hat

Pattern: Basic Cabled Hat (just like the first one!) from Stitch N Bitch

Yarn: Wool Ease in Fisherman, less than one ball

Needles: US7

Started: October 29, 2008

Finished: October 31, 2008

Mods: I cast on 108 sts and worked another two cable repeats before beginning the decrease rounds. (This means I knit 6 cables before decreasing.) I also switched the initial ribbing to k2p2.

Next up are more cabled hats for the younger daughters of the same mommy. These are knit using Bernat Satin in Star Dust (purple) and Flamingo (pink) on US7 needles. I started these in the Spring but became sidetracked when the weather improved!

DSC_7261

Used the same mods on these, too.

I also finished our school principal’s shawl. I’m super duper happy with this one, but I wish it would stop bleeding!

Zephyr Shetland Triangle

Zephyr Shetland Triangle

Pattern: Shetland Triangle from Wrap Style

Yarn: Jaggerspun Zephyr 2/18 laceweight hand dyed with Jacquard acid dye #610, burgundy. Used 111 grams of the yarn, held double throughout

Needle: US8

Started: October 17, 2008

Finished: November 3, 2008

Details: I knit this with the yarn held double because I feared doing something truly lace-weight. After starting, I immediately wished I’d used maybe a US6 and gone singular. Not a big deal overall. I knit 12 body lace repeats and think it’s a great size… not too big and not too small.

I dyed the yarn with Jacquard acid dye and must have missed a step or put too much dye in or both or something. When I was finished and began the washing/blocking process, I was shocked at how much dye remained! I must have washed and rinsed a hundred times and still the water was saturated with burgundy. I boiled the shawl in a highly vinegar solution for 30 minutes and let it cool down in the same water. I washed a hundred more times. Still bleeding. I finally gave up. I’ll be giving sufficient warning to the recipient when I hand it over on Friday morning.

Before washing and blocking, the shawl measured 23 x 50″ and after a decent but not too severe blocking, it measured in at 32 x 64″.

In other news, the school auction was a fun time, for sure. It was held this past Friday. We bought several things we really wanted and the school reaped the benefit. The best item, by far, was the second grade project. Two moms worked so hard to get a project done for each of the 10 classes we have at the school. This is the second grade item:

2nd grade project

Each student painted a glass circle and the moms put them all together to create a wonderful keepsake. I wish my photo really showed it’s true beauty. The sun hasn’t been hanging around much in our neck of the woods, so this was the best I could muster. I can’t begin to tell you how thrilled we are to have won it. Now I just need to hang it up!

I have a couple of other small projects to tell you about, but I’ll save them for another day. I’m running a bit short on material lately!

Advertisements

Read Full Post »